Sunday, February 15, 2009

3am/exit signs

hey bloggers. my work just got hung, which is pretty exciting, as it would be for everyone else on this blog who has been hung. brief history of the work: I wanted to explore the idea of heightened emotion at night, that sinking, overwhelming melancholy that comes at like 230 am, or 3 am, as the name may suggest. I was also interested in the amazing effect of soft electric light in near darkness in making perfect surfaces, especially human skin. reducing it to suggestions of the human form and face. The look sorta developed beyond this but i tried to keep the idea of light reducing forms to pristine surfaces. All of the pieces ended up being set outside, so there wasnt a whole lot of soft lighting. Street lights ended up being the major source of light. Through that it was fun to experiment with ciaroscuro (spelling?). Geoffrey Smart (spelling?) inspired this interest in the urban environment, portrayed through detailed painting and the relationships between people and the urban environment. Bill henson was a big influence on the look and emotion of the works, one of my favourite artists, as opposed to jim henson, who, despite my best efforts, did not get a jersey in contributing to my major work. The cardboard came out of neccessity, i couldn;t be bothered to buy canvas, but i liked the way it looked and acted with the acrylic paint and ended up becoming part of the conceptual makeup of the piece, the contrast of the rough edges and worthless cardboard to the detailed painting reflecting that dichotomy of pain and beauty in extreme emotion. the dimensions, ie space at the bottoms of each were inspired by rothko's powerful compositions, wow they're awesome. also huge influences, or if you want to get my concept a little clearer than my rambling read John Keats' Ode on Melancholy or Missy Higgin's nightminds. sorry for going on, hope you got something out of it. I LOVED THE OTHER WORKS!! WOW! everyone is so talented, and goodlooking...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha I thoroughly agree with the last sentence of this blog.

I really liked your 'precious artwork on cardboard' concept.