Friday, February 13, 2009

Blog 2_Response to the exhibition:

Well what a blast, the exhibition opened yesterday and officially to the public today. I had a ball walking around in the bubbling atmosphere to view my contemporaries works. Many of the works delivered and were thoroughly enjoyable. The way that James Anichich’s colour filled the space, or the detail of Prudence Bell’s paintings or the expressive surfaces of Andrew Smith’s and Goondiga Edgar’s canvas’. I’m looking forward to viewing the exhibition in a quieter time in the coming month.

The way my work is constructed it is important that it is displayed correctly so that it can be ‘understood’ by the audience. It is really a linear work which starts in the realistic and ends in the relative abstract. A slight limitation of my work was the fact that I didn’t include a holistic picture to assist the installers in its set up. However not surprisingly there was my work set up nearly as I had set it up for my school art show, except Tristan that the installers had shown me that it didn’t have to be linear mounting some of my works above and below that linear line that the artworks read and viewed at.

I think like many of the other exhibiting students I was nervous to see how people would approach my work, view and well generally how they would respond it. No emotion is a bad one. Relief struck when I saw people looking at bits in close detail and photographing snippets of it.
One strength of an exhibition like ArtExpress (which is really a group show) for students and certainly for me is the variety of techniques, methods, mediums and concepts on display. Whether or not I liked a work on the whole I saw many small snippets which interested me a lot. I hope that my work at the very least shows students another way to approach there subject matter. As my work is classified as a ‘collection of works’ I have embraced the concepts behind ‘a body of work’ and used many different mediums and materials to explore my concepts. I hope that through this stretching and in depth exploration of my concepts viewers are able to think themselves outside the square of how to approach their own practice.

No comments: