Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hitler failed art exam

Did you know that Hilter left home (and his mother who had breast cancer) at 18 to become an artist? In 1907 he failed the entrance exam for the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts and after that he ended up doing some commissioned watercolours and such, but he returned home to his dying mother in dissapointment. That scares me. I understand how creative people could go too far. Many artists create their own philosophies (eg. Hundertwasser) and just a few ridiculous judgments can take it to the point where you think it’s quite fine to become a Holocaust leader or going to extreme measures to preserving and protect 'precious' works of art incase of attack during a war, but not showing the same courtesy to living, breathing human beings. Think about it. Anyway….

I’ll start off generally by touching on my intention, my opinion of art galleries and a little bit of background. My next blog will go into the process and realisation of my BOW.

I’m Margaret Sevenjhazi.

This is completely nuts.

I’m obviously really excited to be included in the Art Gallery of NSW as part of ARTEXPRESS 2009

My body of work (BOW) is titled, Art for the Blind.

I wasn’t really aspiring to get into ARTEXPRESS because such a small number of people made it in and the selection process seemed to involve both luck and a strong artwork. Some people in my art class would talk about it every lesson, but I kind of blocked it out because I didn’t want it to be a constant thought that might change my ideas.I previously attended ARTEXPRESS with my high school art class a couple of times. I did want to do well in the HSC, but I didn’t want to compromise my ideas so I just selfishly created my body of work to satisfy myself. The ironic thing about my BOW being exhibited in the art gallery is that the main issues presented explored ideas like:

  • perceptions of ‘art’ and its value (by both art lovers and the general public)
  • the commodification of artworks
  • the often snobbish and uninviting atmosphere of galleries

I do feel a little bit anxious because I’m basically criticising galleries and now my artwork is in one, but the fact that it is in a gallery makes the message more potent. I’m hoping that people will take a step back and re-evaluate the way they’re viewing and interacting with the artwork when they get to mine. I hope people will stop, think and possibly be able to say, ‘Wait! I’m being a pretentious bastard! I don’t actually like that expensive painting.’ So of course some people won’t like what I’ve done, but I don’t care. It was a fulfilling process. Everyone has their own opinion. Everyone likes different types of art.

I visit galleries in person and online (probably online more, just because it could be 3am on a Sunday and the website won’t be closed). My body of work presents my perspective perfectly (haha). I don’t go to galleries excessively because the atmosphere makes me feel a little uncomfortable at times. The level of pretension (internal and external) makes me laugh. I like observing the way people interact with and interpret art in a gallery setting. People say some horribly stupid things with the intention of seeming knowledgeable. On the other hand visiting a gallery can often be an invaluable and inimitable opportunity to experience art in person and this cannot be replicated in words or by merely viewing pictures of art in books or online. This ultimately strengthens my connection with art, particularly if I’ve read about it, talked about it and seen pictures of it because seeing it in person is totally different.

I’m going to study law.

No, I’m joking. Haha.

No matter what I do art will always be high on my list of priorities. Right now I was to pursue graphic design, although I also have an avid interest in textiles (I did textiles as part of the HSC) and design in general.

This year I’ll be studying and working. I’ll be trying to get some industry experience. I’m going to do a diploma in graphic design at TAFE. I was considering university, but I think the increased practical skills, ‘hands on’ work, equipment training, and the fact that I can work while I study (more so that university) will be far more beneficial and conducive to a career in the creative arts (rather than far more years and money spent sitting around arguing and writing highly strung essays). I’d rather learn things first hand and from experimentation and experience rather than from textbooks, theories and essays.

So the opening’s only days away. I can’t wait! Hope to see you there.

5 comments:

Tess said...

I had read that about Hitler somewhere. It makes you wonder if the world would have been an entirely different place if only they had accepted Hitler into art school...

(Did you know he also developed the first prototype for the Volkswagen-"car of the people"?)

Estelle said...

And so Hitler grew bitter and so full of remorse that he went on some hot-tempered rampage! hm I believe art is also considered a form of therapy, so if he was accepted, it may have done him some good.. better to angrily splatter paints about than blood and guts I'd say.
And I must say I'm a fan of your work, and am considering carrying a piece of pretentious tape around with me to remind myself to stop with the pretentious bastardry of gawking blankly at something that supposedly worth millions but really isn't.. at all. ever.
.. the fools.

Unknown said...

Woah! I didn't know he developed the Volkswagon prototype. I think it's interesting that both of you automatically say that he might've been a better person if he went to art school. I believe the stereotype of artists and 'cultured' people as 'superior' is utter crap. Hitler WAS cultured. He did paint. He tried to create a brilliant gallery in Germany. He knew the floor plans of most 'great' buildings in the world, he wanted to elevate artists out of poverty, he also went to the opera. The thing is that most 'cultured' and 'artistic' people posess elistist attitudes and an elevated sense of self to the point where they stop thinking properly (eg. there's a war let's protect our million dollar art collection and our citizens can die). Why else would he have thought that his ridiculous theories were a brilliant idea? He probably thought he was an absolute genius. Even I'm guilty of it. Why else would i have thought that my BOW was something worth doing?

Hehe I still have some pretentious tape lying around at home (somewhere..)! Some million dollar artworks are fascinating to look at, but others are just....

LEVY said...

hehe apparently hitler only had one testicle as well. same with napoleon. allegedly. anyway margaret!!! yours was by far my favourite artwork!!!!!! hilarious,

jessicajade said...

apparently, hitler was also a vegetarian.