Friday, February 6, 2009

Blog 1_The initial response:

Let me start by introducing my self, I’m Angus Hardwick one of 62 or so students who are pumped and excited about ArtExpress09. Reading through the previous posts and the scaffold questions I’ve decided that instead of committing the crime word vomit and self-indulgence I’m going to post 4 blogs throughout the exhibition. In this first entry I’m going to focus on the questions which deal with the excitement of the exhibition. I’m sounding (or reading) like a broken record when I say how fantastic and exciting it is to be hung in the gallery and to have made it into the final cut.
It will be interesting making the yearly pilgrimage to the gallery without my art class to see the works as like most schools since year 9 (05) I’ve seen the ArtExpress exhibitions. I’ve noticed that as I’ve gotten older and grown in my artistic knowledge I am more critical of some works and there inclusion, but always in awe of the fact that they made it. Certainly I remember walking out of 08’s show with my mates having a burning desire to produce a work ‘better’ than some of the ones I had seen. However I was constantly reminded by my teachers from year 9 that ArtExpress was not the be all and end all, that be all and end all was the HSC. I had to be reminded that Visual Art was worth the same amount as English or history. Yet like every other post I have read the thought of getting in was incredibly exciting and I will admit that once I was shortlisted I was as nervous if not more nervous to find out if I was in the show than I was to receive my UAI.
As art and creativity are so important to me I’m looking forward in 09 to studying Architecture and pottering around the studio. However as I enjoy these endless holidays I’m pumped for Friday

1 comment:

Emily M said...

I gotta agree that I was a lot more nervous about getting into Artexpress than my course, which had a UAI I easily acquired. You can guarantee yourself a good UAI by studying hard, and you can make a good quality work by spending a lot of time on it, but you can't guarantee getting into the exhibtion.