Saturday, February 7, 2009

Art.

Hi my name is Jim and I am thrilled to be accepted into this exhibition. It's quite a surreal experience in which I am trying to make real - but because I've never had it before it's mighty hard to do so. I think that producing a work of art in year 12 is quite a feat because of the incredible pressure we receive from other things in the year. To free the mind enough to think of something smart is hard while not letting go of the 5 or so other subjects that demand equal attention.

I approached the beginning of year 12 in the summer holidays trying to pump out an art work hoping I could finish it completely and wouldn't have to do any more in the year, freeing up time for other subjects. I tried, and failed. I went on into the year panicking because I thought I was behind. Little did I know, a Wookiee would come and save me. The first term was hardest because of this reason but then an idea was sparked when I saw a Frenchman strut his style and everything literally flowed from then on. 

I found that I learnt a lot from going through the various processes I went through during making my stop motion film. Often when you're just mucking around at home with no pressure, there's no sense of urgency that pushes things out of you and reveal things to be learnt. For this reason I really loved going through year 12 and I really do want this for the rest of my life (the push).

I truly believe that a good piece of art is when someone realizes something new and expresses it freely out of that mind. Also that simplicity is the key. People are drawn to things that show the way - in simple steps.

No comments: